Jacob Martin Hodge

Jacob Martin Hodge
Jacob says Hello!

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

the generation

there is a danger in being "okay"
we generally use this term when we are "automatic," indifferent, or just haven't given it enough thought

"How are you?" "Okay"

"What do you think of this shirt?" "It's okay"

"How are you doing spiritually" "I'm okay"

The latter case is especially concerning. I have been feeling "okay" about the spiritual things in life for some time now. This past week at Suncrest, Greg Lee (Lead Pastor at Suncrest) stated that he can't understand how a Christ follower could "settle" with where they are at in their spiritual maturity. (Greg, I would have much rather seen grown adults struggle with putting a Dora the Explorer puzzle together in church than hear that. haha - j/k) .... WHAT'S WRONG WITH BEING JUST "OKAY" ? .....

automatic

indifferent

or just haven't given it enough thought

Any of these options are less than satisfactory when we're talking a relationship with the God. Even just by quickly analyzing our "spritual maturity number," one can get a sense of where they are at - even if they can't even come up with a number. I don't even think the number is what's important here. I think what is important here is generating a desire to grow passionate about what the God is passionate about, seeing things as the God sees things, cultivating a relationship with others who know the God, and the God himself.

This is the 'generation' of something great. Spiritual senses are stimulated. "God is for me." (Psalm 56.9) Future is uncertain. Things unseen are out there - you can feel them.

Faith is not a question at this point. This is generating results based on what the God has already given the opportunity for. God is asking me to go places that I do not even know yet. God is asking me to act on my faith. No more questioning. No more analyzing. No more "settling." No more "okays." Action.

No comments: